Michael T. Barrett
Michael is an Associate in the firm’s Tallahassee office, where his practice focuses on representing contractors, subcontractors, and sureties on public construction projects. Michael also has administrative-law and appellate-law experience. Because Michael worked for VLP as a law clerk during and immediately after law school, his legal experience dates back to his pre-attorney days.
Michael is a native of Brandon, Florida. Before attending law school, Michael taught at Jean Ribault High School in Jacksonville, Florida, as a member of Teach for America. Michael enjoys running, reading, and football.
Relevant Experience and Representative Cases
- Represented contractors and subcontractors in prosecuting and defending claims arising from nonpayment, differing site conditions, defective work, and improper termination
- Prepared and analyzed contractual agreements for various construction-related entities, including project-specific agreements and purchase agreements
- Notre Dame Law School (J.D., 2017)
- Assistant Rector, Morrissey Hall (2015), Carroll Hall (2016)
- Florida State University (B.S., cum laude, 2010)
- The Florida Bar – Young Lawyers Division