Daniel W. Matlow
Dan is an attorney in VLP’s Fort Lauderdale office, with a practice that primarily pertains to the representation of contractors, subcontractors, and owners in construction litigation and other business litigation matters. Although Dan’s practice has an emphasis on litigation, he also has transactional experience and has drafted and negotiated countless contracts, agreements, and leases. Dan also serves as outside General Counsel for various companies.
Relevant Experience and Representative Cases
- Represented numerous construction companies and owners in a variety of contract and business disputes
- Represented businesses in numerous business-related tort claims, ranging from civil conspiracy to fraudulent misrepresentation
- Prosecuted and defended claims for nonpayment and related liens by contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers
- Enforced judgments via various post-judgment remedies.
- Obtained temporary injunctions in various civil matters.
- Obtained dismissals of lawsuits filed in state and federal court
- Defended employers in various employment-related claims, including wage and hour violations and discrimination.
- Prosecuted and defended cases involving non-compete agreements, confidential information, and trade secrets.
- Prosecuted and defended commercial eviction claims on behalf of landlords and tenants
- Represented homeowners’ associations defending various legal claims
- Negotiated and prepared numerous contractual agreements such as commercial leases, asset purchase agreements, employment agreements, and noncompete agreements
- Represented contractors in bid protest proceedings challenging government contract-award decisions
- Testified as an expert witness as to the reasonableness of attorneys’ fees
- University of Miami (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Inter-American Law Review, Associate Editor
- University of Michigan (B.A., 1997)
- Florida, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Southern , Middle , and Northern Districts of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Hybrid Debt-Equity Transactions: Do They Intersect With the Usury Laws?, with Jamie B. Wasserman, Florida Bar Journal (Apr. 2010)
Awarding Costs Pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 41(d), with Paul A. Ledbetter, Corporate Counsel Weekly (BNA) (Aug. 26, 2009)
Dan has had various speaking engagements with the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
AV Preeminent rating (the highest available rating) from Martindale-Hubbell, the leading peer rating organization.