Joseph W. Lawrence, II
Joe is a founding Shareholder of Vezina, Lawrence & Piscitelli, P.A., and practices in the firm’s Fort Lauderdale office. He has been a Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Lawyer since 2005. He has been selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyers in America© and has been named as a Florida Super Lawyer. Chambers USA has named Joe a “Senior Statesperson,” which places him in the top 4.6% of attorneys in Chambers’ USA 2023 Guide and top 2.4% of all attorneys ranked by Chambers globally. Chambers has recognized that “Joe Lawrence remains a prominent presence in the construction market. He is particularly adept in surety matters and has significant trial experience.” (Chambers USA)
Joe’s practice covers all aspects of construction law, including construction contract and document preparation. He has over 30 years’ experience in complex construction litigation involving both private and public construction disputes. He is a seasoned trial lawyer with an emphasis on jury trial work in both federal and state courts throughout Florida, as well as arbitration proceedings. Particularly when undertaking bid protests and administrative matters for the firm’s clients, Joe puts his broad background to work: Joe served first as an Assistant Attorney General in Consumer Protection; then as Administrative Law Chief, Florida Office of Attorney General; and finally as Chief Attorney and Director of Regulation for the Florida Department of Professional Regulation before he went into private practice with a singular concentration in construction law. He represents contractors, subcontractors, sureties, design-builders, design professionals, and owners. Joe also is approved by the American Arbitration Association as arbitrator for construction contract disputes.
Joe was born in Watertown, New York, and raised and educated in Florida. He enjoys spending time with family, traveling, and mission work. Joe is a tireless advocate for those in need inside and outside the United States and is involved in many charitable and community organizations.
- Florida State University (J.D., cum laude)
- Florida State University (B.S., with honors)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Delta Phi
- Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Construction Law
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern, Middle, and Northern Districts of Florida
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- The Saint Thomas More Society, Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy Award, May 2003
- The Best Lawyers in America© (Construction Law), 2007 – 2024
- Florida Super Lawyers (Construction Litigation, Surety), 2007 – 2023
- Chambers USA – Senior Statesperson, Recommended in Construction, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2022, 2023
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Who’s Who Legal (Construction)
- Underground Contractors Association of South Florida
- Engineering Contractors Association of South Florida, Inc.
- Florida State University College of Law Board of Visitors